[thechat] No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Roger Austin raustin3 at nc.rr.com
Mon Apr 6 21:11:26 CDT 2009

Jack Timmons wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 4:27 PM, Conyers, Dwayne <dwayne.conyers at hp.com>wrote:
>
>> Over the past three years, have been working a project to reengineer a
>> paper and sneaker-net system into an on-line workflow.  The lead engineer
>> did everything to block all of my architectural recommendations:
>

> As much as that sucks, it's a common situation. When I started to work where
> I did, the current IT Manager disagreed with everything I said. Luckily, in
> this power struggle, I eventually get to take his place and finally prove my
> way was the best available.
> I feel for you, though. There's nothing like that feeling to make you lose
> hope. Keep preachin', though, and keep trying. I've always believed that by
> giving up, I'm also giving in, and like Roger's analogy, I'm usually the
> type that makes waves instead of going to SOP. Then again, I could just be
> retarded.
>
> Keep plugging at those leads, and do what you do best. Wishing you luck.

  I don't want to give the wrong impression with my earlier message.
Getting fired is a bad thing and shows that someone didn't read the
political signals properly or they caused a problem that the company
felt had to be resolved. A firing on your resume doesn't have the
stigma of 20 years ago, but it is still something that is a red flag
to hiring managers. It should only happen when all other options are
moot.
  I wish you all the best, Roger
--
Visit http://www.misshunt.com/ for fun and creative items including
the famous Clean/Dirty dishwasher magnet, now available in velcro.