[thechat] No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Jack Timmons jorachim at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 21:36:56 CDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 9:11 PM, Roger Austin <raustin3 at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Jack Timmons wrote:
> > Then again, I could just be retarded.
>
>   I don't want to give the wrong impression with my earlier message.
> Getting fired is a bad thing and shows that someone didn't read the
> political signals properly or they caused a problem that the company
> felt had to be resolved. A firing on your resume doesn't have the
> stigma of 20 years ago, but it is still something that is a red flag
> to hiring managers. It should only happen when all other options are
> moot.
>  I wish you all the best, Roger

I left the more important part of my message in there.
Also, being a contractor, it's not so hard on the resume when something like
this happens, at least in what I've dealt with. When I freelancer, it always
sucked ending a project, for whatever reason (even if it just came to term),
but I've not had many issues with any projects that were terminated early
for whatever reason. I'm also very good a bs'ing.

It's a different story in the full-time hire sort of deal, of course. Hard
to explain away being fired from a long-time job. Which is why I always
wonder people use computers at work for pornography =/. I've caught my share
of employees who did that, and I'm pretty sure that job either never showed
up on their resume, or whomever hired them didn't bother to check up.

--
-Jack Timmons
http://www.trotlc.com