[thechat] Should I Buy LCD?

Fred Jones fredthejonester at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 12:04:32 CDT 2009

I still am using two 17" CRT monitors, but I am ready, maybe, to
invest in one wide LCD monitor. My current resolution is 2048x768
(each physical monitor is 1024x768). According to my math, to get the
same physical square inches of screen real estate I would actually
need a 32" LCD. That would give me significantly more than I have now,
actually, but it seems that a 30" will be less.

But I'm a bit confused about the specs I see. I looked at two
different 32" monitors and both say:

Maximum Resolution	1366 x 768

I found somewhere that such a screen's viewable area is 27.9" wide.
One of mine (measured with a ruler!) is 12.5 for a combined total of
25". Am I making a mistake when I understand that I would be
"downgrading" from 25" with 2048 pixels across to almost 28" with only
1366 pixels?

Any other thoughts on this subject are appreciated--like if LCDs
really are easier on the eyes. :)

Thanks!