[thechat] Should I Buy LCD?

Barry Woolgar barry at burnthebook.co.uk
Wed Apr 29 04:07:01 CDT 2009

> No, they said "monitor" like this ... Unless I am misunderstanding.

Ah I see, it's a monitor in the sense it has no way of generating its own
picture. However it is designed for much low resolution usage (like video),
hence the HDMI and VGA (_not_ DVI I'd hazard). I would imagine this
particular monitor is designed for hanging above a reception desk displaying
videos of sporty people and special offers. Or for video games consoles
perhaps. Also the native resolution of the panel could be lower, which is
what you need to go by for PC use. This particular monitor will happily
squash your larger resolution signal to fit its panel, but you'll end up
with a blurred and generally rubbish-looking picture.

>> Of course, if you're already using two monitors, you might want to go for
two TFTs.
> Two reasons why not...

Fair enough, very good reasons!

> But my store here will sell me a 32" LCD for $875

I really don't think you need to be spending that much money! Have a look at
the Dell SP2309w, http://www.ebuyer.com/product/155584 (sorry, Google knows
I live in the UK so I'm having a bit of trouble finding a US supplier). It's
higher resolution than you have now, but in a smaller package. It also has
some nonsense like a built-in webcam but as a panel it appears to get
written up rather well. I'm sure there are others if you start looking at
that range.

Maybe someone here can suggest an online US-based PC hardware supplier with
a decent reputation?