[thechat] Should I Buy LCD?

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Wed Apr 29 10:21:52 CDT 2009

Hi Fred,

Fred Jones wrote:
> But I'm a bit confused about the specs I see. I looked at two
> different 32" monitors and both say:
>
> Maximum Resolution	1366 x 768

I'm always a bit confused by monitor "specs" too.  Can't tell where
exactly the line gets drawn between actual technical differences and
marketing blather.

But 1366x768 is  not so hot.  I have a 17" Samsung Syncmaster 1440x900
at home and a 17" Samsung Synmaster 1280x1024 at work.  While both are
allegedly 17" monitors, that is the *diagonal* measurement and so the
home widescreen is/seems much smaller than the more
standard-aspect-ratio display at work.

In any case, I do agree they are clearer and easier on the eyes, but
that's just MHO.  I've heard many people express the opposite view, so I
guess you won't know whether you prefer LCD till you try one.

My next monitor is this'n heah:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3326540&Sku=H94-2801

A 28" 1920x1200 for $350 :-)

woot,