[thechat] Network clue needed ...

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Mon Jul 13 09:22:53 CDT 2009

John Handelaar noted:

>>Guess: Ubuntu box has a fixed IP set in its network config, and the IP
>>address is the same one as the first address in the cable modem's DHCP
>>pool.

Thanks John!

Hmmm ... seems like I'm seeing a consistent theme here.  Yeah, seems like that "auto eth0" is the culprit.

>>If I'm right: either change the Ubuntu box to use DHCP

Eeeek!  Something like this?
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-and-configure-dhcp-server-in-ubuntu-server.html
(I am *SO* hosed.)

>>or give it a different fixed address up in the .200 area

Okay, that looks more easier. <snipped from net />

Edit /etc/network/interfaces
	Auto eth0
	Iface eth0 inet static
	Address 192.168.0.100
	Netmask 255.255.255.0
	Network 192.168.0.0
	Broadcast 192.168.0.255
	Gateway 192.168.0.1

So change that 'address' line to 192.168.0.202 ???

Thanks,
Ron