[thechat] Twitter Nonsense

Madhu Menon chef at shiokfood.com
Thu Aug 27 00:43:23 CDT 2009

Fred Jones wrote:
> I joined twitter because my sister said I should--i follow someone she
> follows. I have never used it, however, not to follow nor to tweet. I
> have almost 20 letters from twitter that so and so is now following me
> but when I log in it only shows 3 followers.

For the longest time, I dismissed Twitter. I used to call them
"Twittering twits". Possibly because some idiot friends of mine would
tweet stuff like "going into boring meeting now, yawn!" or "stuck in a
traffic jam. this is so annoying". I really didn't want any part of that
nonsense.

But thanks to some twitter "veteran" friends of mine, I gave it a shot,
and I love it for what it is supposed to do - provide a "stream of
consciousness" type access to people's thoughts, and sometimes for
getting information faster than regular media channels.

If you really want to give it a shot, there are two things you need to do:

1) Forget using Twitter on the web. Their interface will make you tear
your hair out and scream. Download TweetDeck, which will bring a lot
more order into your universe. It will show you tweets from friends,
tweets mentioning you, and direct messages, all in separate panels.

2) Don't follow people who tweet crap. Don't follow people who tweet
about things you don't care about. Trim your "following" list ruthlessly.

2a) Follow me: http://www.twitter.com/madmanweb :D

Cheers,

Madhu

--