[thechat] network inventory

Jeremy Weiss eccentric.one at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 23:13:17 CST 2010

Got an odd request in today and I'm not sure where to even start, so I
thought I'd solicit the advice of the smartest group I know. :)

I was asked to write a script that would do an inventory of the computers on
our network and record all the applicable information for each. The person
making the request seemed to think it would be something I could whip, but
I'm not sure where to even start. How do I go about querying each system to
find the information. All my Google searches have turned up are paid
products. Nearly all of the computers will be Windows. Is there a API or
some such that I could connect to?  Do you know of a better place to post
such questions?

As you can see, I haven't a clue. So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremy