[thechat] Jaspersoft BI Toolset?

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Fri Mar 12 10:03:55 CST 2010

Matt Warden asked:

>>Are you working on new marts or are you just playing around on your
>>spare time because you're curious? If its new stuff at work that is
>>driving this, it would be interesting to hear why you're looking at
>>Jasper versus your current output tool. i.e. What are the pain points
>>you're trying to solve.

Hi Matt,

Two reasons really.

- I saw a job ad yesterday that mentioned Jasper as a 'nice to have' and I wasn't familiar with it.  So while I was doodling around checking reviews and things I thought I would put a shout out to see if it was worth loading up at home to take on a test drive.  Just to see what it can do and how easy or hard it might be to work with.

- But yes, I am still trying to end-run around my issues at the office.  We have business side folks who have the expertise to handle 'deep analysis' but aren't allowed to access the data or have any decent tools to work with ... and we have IT folks who have access to the data who don't have the expertise to know what to do with it.  It's a gap that is obvious for me to see, but I'm having a hard time selling it as something worth addressing.  I'm working on the formal CBA portion of the pitch now and if open source tools would get the job done, it would improve my benefit to cost ratio.

Cheers,
RonL.