[thechat] What should I trade my iPhone for?

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Thu May 27 15:09:43 CDT 2010

On 11 May 2010, at 21:29, Fred Jones wrote:

> I am working on a mobile version of a certain website and so someone
> on the team there gave me an old iPhone. I have no interest in the
> PHONE part of it--I have it online via wireless and I can test my
> website that way and that's enough.
>
> But I have a friend who wants it and I also would actually like a
> different machine that doesn't require iTunes to put videos or MP3 on
> it etc--my workstation is Linux.
>
> He wants to buy me an iTouch and take my iPhone but I want a Linux
> based mobile machine. The iPhone is old, it says:

iPod touch.  Where this iTouch moniker came from, I don't know </pedant>

> Model: MA712LL
> Capacity: 7.1 GB
>
> So what should I ask my friend to get for me to replace this iPhone?
> Needs to be around the same approximate value I guess. :)

MA712LL = an original iPhone 8GB.  They're cheap as chips these days on the secondary market (Apple only sell iPhone 3G and 3GS models ... at least until June when the new iPhone will appear).  If you want something Linux based (why, specifically?) for testing, you could just get an Android handset like a G1 cheaply second hand, or maybe a Nokia something-or-other like an N95.  Most everything "mobile" and non-Google these days is WebKit based anyway.

-n