[thechat] US Contract Gig - Tax Questions

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 15:36:40 CDT 2010

First, I am not a tax lawyer. You should consult one and not rely on me. :)

W2 work requires employers to pay half of payroll taxes. It also
requires employers under most circumstances to withhold estimated
taxes based on IRS tables.

1099 work requires you to pay full payroll taxes. You should factor
this into your rate. It is common that companies will request a W2
rate and a 1099 rate, and they expect the latter to be higher. Also,
no one is going to withhold your estimated taxes, and you are required
to submit estimated taxes on a quarterly basis.

--
Matt Warden
Austin, TX, USA