[thechat] Inbox detox

Jack Timmons codeacula at codeacula.com
Tue Nov 2 14:19:44 CDT 2010

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 8:04 AM, Mohan Arun L <marun2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> What efforts do you take to clear up your email I mean deleting the stuff
> rather than aiming for 'inbox zero' which means you are only archiving mails
> and its all still there in "All mail".

I use Thunderbird.

Whenever I get important emails, I tag them as such. Usually, though,
if it contains needed information, I have a special place to put them.
(Ticket system, encrypted documents, unencrypted documents, print &
file).

At the beginning of each year, I go through and delete all the
previous year's emails that aren't tagged or don't look important.
I'll usually do a variety of ordering (By sender for all X emails, by
subject for auto-build emails or notices I get when software I made
runs), kinda like shaking through a sifter, until nothing is left but
important-looking ones and tagged.

Then I read each one, and determine where it needs to go. Often I'll
tag an email -and- make a ticket on it, complete the ticket, but
forget to untag the email or not bother to.

When I'm done with that, I pull the mail file, stick it on the backup
drive, and compact all my folders.

--
Jack Timmons
@_Codeacula