[thechat] Inbox detox

Roger Austin raustin3 at nc.rr.com
Tue Nov 2 16:34:36 CDT 2010

On 11/2/2010 9:04 AM, Mohan Arun L wrote:
> What efforts do you take to clear up your email I mean deleting the stuff
> rather than aiming for 'inbox zero' which means you are only archiving mails
> and its all still there in "All mail".

The best way to clear up email is to avoid getting it. There are
a lot of resources on the web for managing email and a couple of
first steps.

  Don't send or encourage thank you notes from people.

  Work with your project team to only use email for consolidation
of materials rather than "chatting". Use other tools for chatting
and brainstorming.

  Don't use email to transfer files unless there is no other means.

  Use the "Read, File and/or Delete" method for each message. I
delete almost all email over a year old.

  Use email filtering to sort or automatically delete messages.

  Print/file and/or file any CYA messages to specific folders.

  Educate coworkers and friends about how you use email.

  Use alternate email addresses for things like lists and personal
messages.

  Download and archive any message over a year old. This depends on
your email system, but most will allow you to file stuff away to
CDs or DVDs and then bring it back.

  These are just a few things to consider. Good luck, Roger
--
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/8/a4/60
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/RogerTheGeek