[thechat] #uksnow

Joel D Canfield joel at bizba6.com
Thu Dec 2 12:05:31 CST 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 8:01 AM, Luther, Ron <Ron.Luther at hp.com> wrote:

> (Once you'd seen an episode of Flipper in color at a friend's house, it
> really sucked to go back to watching it in B&W at home.)

Flipper was in color? Or are you toying with me?

I'll tell you about February '64 in Wisconsin: -42F (but that's only -41C,
h'ray!) and the wind chill was like minus eternity. During the day I'm told
it got up to minus 'humans might survive' but we still didn't play outside
much.

Then, in '68, that record was tied. We started school September '67 with
snow drifts against the house, school bus following the snow plow out. We
finished the year June of '68 with snow drifts against the house, following
the snow plow out of the woods. Seven solid months of snow piling up.

Oddly, in the fall of '68, my father moved us to Beverly Hills, California.

We got a TV, push-button phone (don't remember exactly when) generally began
living a life of profligate waste and luxury (not once, after 1968, did we
live in a house without running water.)

Having just escaped from Wisconsin again this past week (10 days at my
Mom's, on our way from Montreal to San Diego) I am reminded of how much I
hate all that nonsense.

joel