[thechat] Suggestions?

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Fri Dec 6 11:38:52 CST 2013

Hi Gang,

My home machine finally gave up the ghost this week.  She had been limping along for quite some time ... the sound card quit a long time back ... bsod once every month or two.  But now the hard drive boot seems to have gone completely pear-shaped ... soooo ... she's pretty much dead in the water.

I have managed to wrangle a nice newish workstation.   (No no.  Really.   She is one VERY sweet gizmo!  Shiny too!)   However ... she has a few ... "issues"; namely:
	* She's a 'desktop' form factor, while everything else in the house (with the exception of my recently departed machine) is a laptop.
	* She has no operating system whatsoever.
	* Her BIOS is, most unfortunately, set up so that she can *only* boot from the hard drive.  You cannae point her to boot from CD-Rom or USB.         ;-(

But hey!   Other than all that, she really is a crackerbox of a machine!

<scratches head />

Ummm, suggestions please?

.
.
.

BTW - I would especially appreciate workable ideas for how to make her "go" and do stuff!

Thanks,
RonL.

(So far the best suggestions have been --- "Why don't you go outside and have a nice run instead?" and "You know you really should spend more time playing your guitars!" --- which, while most encouraging, don't help me check FB or watch cute hedgehog videos.)