[Theforum] Re: legal counsel (was: Charter Gaps)

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 24 00:52:09 CDT 2001

i hate saying this in more than one post, but you've asked it a few
times in different contexts, so i'm just trying to shore it all up...

> From: "Warden, Matt" <mwarden at mattwarden.com>
>
> Erika wrote:
> >Whether or not Dan is reimbursed for previous legal costs, and how,
> >should have no effect on whether Evolt wants or needs legal counsel
> >in the future.  That's a separate issue.
>
> Um, ok.
>
> So, are we going to decide that? I mean, we seem to keep putting
> things aside tagging them as "different issues"... but they're still
> issues we will need to figure out before incorporation.

please see my other post and let me know if the reasons i've
provided there are inadequate... having done this before, it's good to
plan for it (which i think we've done in 10 other posts), but it's better
to do it after the NFP is in place (when the tax and financial issues
are covered by the legal entity)...

are we ok on this?

> I've already said I think getting legal counsel would be a good
> idea. Anyone else?

well, since we can't form a legal NFP *without* legal counsel, the
answer is a resounding yes...

however, let's plan as much as we can here (using our collective
experience and brainpower), and minimize the legal costs by
having clear direction for a lawyer...