[Theforum] Re: Charter Gaps

Daniel J. Cody djc at members.evolt.org
Thu Oct 25 10:23:05 CDT 2001

nice to see your back amanda

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, A. Erickson wrote:
> Dan:
> why have it be any group but the group who's actions and future is going
> to be affected by the person who's volunteering to help. i can point to
> very good example of a highly respected evolt member who didnt get on
> admin because 1-3 people didnt like his positions on thechat list. no
> names as i wont embarss those involved, but its a good example why a
> closed group can't make decisions as to who is included in the
> 'public'(this) group.
>
> Me:
> I have a comment and a question.
>
> verify unless you are an admin so that's bogus. If they were "highly
> respected" then why did they not get on the admin list? Clearly there

cut from 10 lines above, "because 1-3 people didnt like his positions on
thechat list." because those people didn't want the 'canidate' on admin,
they voiced their opinions(which was fine), but then a couple things
happened. the people who wanted him on that list were afraid of stepping
on toes of other admins. this is my viewpoint btw.

> were admins that did not respect this person. Besides, "highly
> respected" is extremely circumspect. I think others can leave your point
> as a personal opinion on an unverifiable issue. (And I also think it's
> unfair to the person in question whoever they might be.)

well shit, i should have got my opinion notorized then.

> Okay... my dumb question -- If we want to call theforum a steering group
> then we have a steering group of members right now.  Can anyone join the
> steering group? Who decides? If someone can't join the steering group
> because the people on the steering group don't want them then what? Do
> we form another group?

yes, anyone can join(read the threads between me and isaac for the
details)

> What about the admin tasks? Can anyone join the admin group? Again is my
> question about barriers to entry. Anyone who thinks that there can be
> zero barriers to entry is wrong. There are always barriers. I think
> deciding what those barriers are is going to be key.

if i recall, there were no barries to entry when we started evolt. was
that wrong?

dan sends out email, people respond, group is formed. where was the
barrier there?