[Theforum] evolt.org's mission statement ... first draft ... fire away

Ron Dorman rwd at csi1st.net
Thu Oct 25 12:08:22 CDT 2001

Elfur Logadóttir wrote:

> our mission statement as printed on the footer of *every* evolt page:
>
> "evolt.org is a world community for web developers, promoting the mutual
> free exchange of ideas, skills and experiences."
>
> I don't think this mission statement should change.
>
> our vision:
> taken from two different faq pages with slight alterations, shown in
> brackets.
>
> from the faq page "how did evolt.org come about":
> "The main goal of [...] [evolt.org is] to promote the free exchange of
> ideas in a community created by web professionals [...]. [evolt.org
> believes that] providing content for the web community by the web
> community [is] the best way to actually learn the business of the web."
>
> from the faq page "who runs evolt.org":
> "The [...] members of evolt.org [...] run evolt.org. Whether it is
> participating in discussions on our mailing list, adding browsers to the
> browser archive, contributing articles to thesite or building the
> features that will power the next incarnation of evolt.org, the members
> are running the show."
>
> and finally, putting the two together, suggesting this as our vision:
>
> "The main goal of evolt.org is to promote the free exchange of ideas in
> a community created by web professionals. Evolt.org believes that
> providing content for the web community by the web community is the best
> way to actually learn the business of the web.
> The members of evolt.org run evolt.org. Whether it is by participating
> in discussions on our mailing lists, adding browsers to the browser
> archive, contributing articles to the site or building the features that
> will power the next incarnation of evolt.org, the evolt.org members are
> running the show."
>
> so, how about that for starters?

This is good for starting, Thanks Elfur.  However, this speaks of evolt in
terms of the sites and lists.  We had started discussions of "other" areas
evolt could move to.  I think we need to broaden what we currently have
written to encompass those things as well.  And as we look at and refine the
vision and mission statement we may find a few more things to do.

Let's not rush this.  We have good things in place and working.  Let's take
our time and do this pass at organizing to the best of our abilities (within
a reasonable time frame of course).

Ron D.