[Theforum] Barriers -- let's talk philosophically

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Sat Oct 27 09:11:26 CDT 2001

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 01:39:14 -0700, ".jeff" <jeff at members.evolt.org>
wrote:

> that's fair.  that brings a question though concerning these people
> that were not aware admin existed.  in your mind, how do you suppose
> these people thought the day to day things got taken care of?  how
> were articles being approved?  how were browsers being added to the
> archive?  how was the site design being updated?  etc.

Heh...magic? *:)

Well as for the specific cases you mentioned, I knew that there were a
group of founders and others who took care of the public content, what I
wasn't aware of, up until around a year ago, was that there was another
'discussion' going on outside of that.

I'd always assumed that evolt was similiar to the Linux model, with all
discussion out there for everyone to see. I thought thesite was the
equivalent to the kernel list. When I realised that Admin existed I
thought "oh?, ok.. fair enough" and then carried on with work. That was
where my head was at, at the time. It wasn't an issue.

But now I'm getting to the stage where I feel I want to make a greater
contribution, it becomes more important for me to understand how all
this stuff actually works. theforum is helping me (and others I should
imagine) to do that.

Before hand I wouldn't have had an idea about approaching admin about
how to get more involved. I think I would have felt like a peasant
storming the castle (I'm only speaking for my personal POV here).

Like I said before, I build, so this sort of stuff often passes me by.

(I'm quite amazed I'm still in business to be honest! *:)

G.