[Theforum] culture-differences (was: Roll Call - Madhu)

Javier Velasco [mantruc] javier at msm.cl
Tue Oct 30 15:26:34 CST 2001

Madhu Menon wrote:

> >What has been your experience with evolt so far?
>

> The bad:

> 2) The US influence seems to be a bit heavy. I suppose this is because many
> members are American, but still...
> When someone makes a cultural reference, I'm sometimes at a loss to figure
> out what he or she means. For example, a reference to, say, Starbucks.
> Assuming that everyone knows what Starbucks is/sells isn't a wise move. (I
> used Starbucks as an example because they're very well known.)

i agree with Madhu, i also hate it when "americans" take for granted
their culture as being the world's default, it's very passively rude.

and if you ask me why i quote the word... because america isn't a
country, it's a contient full of countries.

for the record i got no clue what Starbucks is about (don't care
either).

--
Javier Velasco M.      -               nurun Chile
Information Architect  -       http://www.nurun.cl