coffee (was RE: [Theforum] culture-differences)

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue Oct 30 17:28:42 CST 2001

sgd wrote:

>(Starbucks is a franchise "gourmet" coffee chain, rooted in the Pacific
>Northwest --I think they're literally down the street from Microsoft.

Starbucks originated in Seattle, but is everyfuckingwhere.  They sell
these big overpriced drinks in paper cups with pretty designs.  They
move next to little independent coffee shops and try to put them out
of biz.

A Seattle Starbucks got a window smashed at the WTO protest.  Gave
the press something violent to talk about.

>They're as common as McDonald's.

and almost as evil...

>  check http://starbucks.com)

check
http://www.zenspider.com/RWD/Thoughts/Opinionated/Starbucks.html
http://www.globalexchange.org/economy/coffee/

If the best coffee you know is Starbucks', I am sorry.

I can find better, cheaper coffee than Starbucks, that is locally
owned, and organically grown on cooperative farms.   And I do.

In the wee town of Arcata CA, you'll find just such an (shade-grown,
organic, fair-trade) coffee shop every two blocks or so, many of them
roasting their beans fresh on the premises.  And doing a damn good
job of it.  They would run Starbucks out of town, just like they did
with Taco Bell.

In Portland, it takes a bit more searching, but good fair-trade
organic can be found in local shops.  A variety, not just one kind.

Fie on Starbucks, the big rainforest-flattening, corporate colonizing
exploitive greed-heads.

Erika

PS FWIW, most admin people don't share my "cultural" point of view.
That is why it is especially important that I share.  ;-)