[Theforum] culture-differences (was: Roll Call - Madhu)

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Tue Oct 30 17:32:39 CST 2001

At 05:24 PM 10/30/2001, you wrote:

> > oh, and not that anyone's done this on thelists, but (it
> > happens everywhere
> > else -- especially cia.gov) please don't describe something
> > as being "as big
> > as texas". i don't know how big texas is.
>
>the largest state in the continental US (Texans conveniently forget
>about Alaska being about 2/3 the size of the continenal US), but the
>reference is more for the ego --er I mean Heart of Texas. Don't worry
>bout it.

Of course, it helps that Texas is not only second in land, but also
population.  Alaska, while larger in size, the the second smallest state in
the U.S. population-wise (behind Wyoming).  So, I guess, the logic is that
while Alaska is big, it's also big and very empty (not to say that Texas
isn't very empty in places, I've driven to Lubbock - ugh).

As an example.  The distance (according to Mapquest, not as the crow flies)
from here in Dallas, TX to El Paso, TX (the other end of the state), is
637.4 miles.  Conversely, the distance from Dallas, TX to Nashville, TN
(two states away) is 664.7.  Yeesh. :)

--Ben

http://www.imaginuity.com/