[Theforum] multiple languages on WEO

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Mon Nov 12 16:01:49 CST 2001

[sending again 'cause it didn't seem to reach the first time]

At 03:09 AM 11/13/2001, you wrote:
>if so, i'm +1 on moving forward with that. are we likely to run into issues
>with character sets? what languages can we currently handle? javier?
>
>what can't we handle? (greek, russian, chinese, japanese, etc?)

Well, you can't handle any of the 20+ Indian languages (each state here has
a different one - I speak 3 languages fluently and can speak two haltingly).

And the script used is totally different.

Does our CMS handle Unicode?

I'm all for encouraging people to write articles, but English being the
lingua franca of the Web, the value of the article would be diminished
somewhat. We need someone fluent in German (preferably native) to translate
to English. Once that's done, I'm willing to provide technical editing and
review services for the English version.

Madhu

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant
e-mail: webguru at vsnl.net