[Theforum] Featured article positioning and concept

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Tue Nov 13 16:21:19 CST 2001

At 03:39 AM 11/14/2001, you wrote:

>Emily was trying to come up with a better name than "Random article of the
>day" (cos it wouldn't be random) or "Revived article" (sounds like it had
>had a heart attack).

"Oldie but goodie"

"Nuggets from the archives"

"Classic article of the day/week/month"

>Thoughts?

The concept is good.

However, the size (and by extension, the prominence) conflict with its
position on the page. It looks mighty important compared to the rest of the
articles, but it's demoted. Exact opposite signals. Salon (and many other
sites) also have a "featured article" with a large graphic, but it's
usually the first thing you notice. In your design, the featured article
certainly stands out enough to grab your attention - so much so that you
may as well make it the first article. Same effect either way - I notice
the featured article first.

Hmmm... retrofitting this into our existing design will clearly be an
interesting challenge.

Madhu
(too sleepy to think; going to bed now *yawn*)

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant
e-mail: webguru at vsnl.net