[Theforum] Featured article positioning and concept

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 13 16:14:50 CST 2001

> From: "isaac" <isaac at members.evolt.org>
[...]
> I agree that top is better than bottom, but what about 3 down?
[...]

interesting...

> Disadvantages: interrupts flow of 10 latest articles (effect could be
> reduced if it was obviously marked as being different).

feh

> Advantages: doesn't take prominence of the absolute latest article
> (which should definitely sit first whenever possible), nor does it get
> lost at the bottom.

anti-feh

> What about running the revived article as a manual inclusion with a
> graphical frontdoor promo a la ALA? (la la la la)

um... yuk...

> Let me try a concept for it. (Going to Photoshop -- be patient!)

ok...

> OK, here we are:

what took you so long?

> http://anarchitect.net/isaac/evolt/featured_article.gif

that's pretty fucking cool... it's a good thing you're a good designer,
or you'd never be able to sell me on this...

now, let's just ignore the whole issue of colors, styles, images, etc.
and see what everyone thinks in concept....

> Mousing over "Featured Article" or clicking the [?] would give a
> pop-up or link to a FAQ that explained what the Feature Article was.
> i.e., it's not necessarily brand new, nor is it a sponsored ad. Note
> that the comments and ratings are prominently positioned so it's easy
> to keep track of the promotions progress.

keen...

> The requirement of a custom graphic for each article we wish to
> promote (1 a week? 1 every 3 days) is pretty light. That one took me
> less than 5 minutes to come up with. Once the template is
> standardised, it would take even less time to create.

peachy keen...

and i can hammer images out for a bunch of articles as well...

you da man, kangaroo-boy...