[Theforum] Inviting other people

A. Erickson amanda at gawow.com
Mon Nov 19 14:11:43 CST 2001

> You're essentially agreeing with me, Amanda, but you present
> a hypothetical
> case with a very low probability of happening. The people who approve
> articles will surely ensure that quality is never sacrificed
> for quantity.
> Or am I missing something?

Yes. Forget our article and site example, I was just trying to talk
about quality vs. quantity and on the site we have had discussions
before. It's a hard issue to solve but we don't have to go there right
now. I have no fears at the moment that the site quality will suffer.

Actually, I have no fears about the list either. I just want to make
sure we know what we're doing and where we're going.

> >         Newbie: I am not being unreasonable!
> >         Old Curmudgeon: Yes you are because of x, y, and z.
> >         List Mod: Can we take this offlist, this isn't appropriate.
> >         Middlebie: I really think it is appropriate, and I think
> >Newbie is being tortured and blah, blah, blah.
> >         Newbie: Yeah!
>
> Hey, whaddya know? That sounds very familiar, almost as if
> I'd seen it
> happen somewhere. Hang on, yes I did. Just this weekend. It
> wasn't here
> though :D

Yeah, me too. :)

> I think that people shouldn't be discriminated against
> because they know a
> little less than others on thelist.

Agree.

> There shouldn't be an
> "eligibility
> criteria" for joining. Let people lurk.

Sure.

> Let them take and
> take and take.
> We're not paying a per-person charge. I'm happy if someone
> benefits from
> something that I post. I do it with the hope that when I need
> help, there
> are people willing to return the favour without first
> checking how much I
> have contributed to thelist and then deciding whether I'm
> "eligible" to speak.

I do agree.

> Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Amanda. I'm sorry if I've
> ranted far too
> much (and I know I have).

Not at all. It is not that I want to close the list off or make it more
inaccessible. I just don't really want it to be too easy. You know how I
love barriers. ;)

> I've just been feeling a bit
> annoyed over certain
> events on other lists and I needed to write about it. Writing
> allows me to
> let go of my frustration.

I know that this list is public but maybe it wouldn't be too horrible to
dissect some of those other annoying list events, for our own
edification. What do you think?

- amanda