[Theforum] Re: Adding theForum to l.e.o.

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Sat Nov 24 18:55:08 CST 2001

Warden, Matt wrote on 24/11/01 7:18 pm

>The problem with having an "unsaid voting system" is that people, down the
>line, will assume it's ok to change that because nothing is written
>in stone. Hell, look at admin. We had 20 people there and people got mad
>when they didn't get their +1/-1 into the mix in time.

Absolutely - the more informal the system, the less well it
scales. It needs to be both fair, and seen to be so. The more people
involved, the more urgent that need, and the clearer 'being seen
to be fair' must be.

>My point is to just figure it out and get it nailed down. I wasn't
>suggesting that we tap heads with wands and allow those people to vote in
>some sophisticated voting application.

Although a sophisticated app would remove some of the
mundanity and error-proneness of manual counting and reporting.

>If we dont' get it nailed down, I can see it as a very probable
>possibility that it's brought up down the line when Joe Theforumuser
>didn't see a vote going on, but wanted to weigh in -- but it's too
>late. And it will consume us just like it did on admin.

Yes. You're absolutely right.

We will save *so* much anger and distrust if we agree it
before the event. Think of it like backups - after the event
is waaaaay too late to save the situation.

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland