[Theforum] [Fwd: [thalist] Any good web developer/programmer Portals out there?]

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue Nov 27 11:22:10 CST 2001

where is it said that Evolt is supposed to be a "web developers news
source" -- or more that it should be more of a news source than any
other site?

What are our goals?  The footer says:

>"Evolt.org is a world community for web developers, promoting the
>mutual free exchange of ideas, skills and experiences."

A "world community" is not quite the same as being a "news-source."

I see Evolt as being a place for a community to exchange ideas and
information.  News is just one type of information.  There are a LOT
of web news sites out there.... some with people who get paid to
sniff out news & write it up.

I question the goal of making web dev news a high priority.  News
that interests the community gets discussed on the list.  I think the
list is more of a parallel to metafilter than the site is.  And
anyway, Metafilter is different community with different (if
sometimes overlapping) members and goals.

Why look at other sites and be concerned that Evolt is not like them?

This relates to the "design-related threads" issue as well.  Evolt
has apples, another list (or site) has oranges.  What's wrong with
that?  Do we want to have oranges too?  Or do we want to focus on
apples?  Or maybe we want grapes?

I think Evolt needs to figure out what its specific goals are, what
its niche is (and should be), and use those ideas to focus direction.

I do not think Evolt should attempt to be all things web.  For that
would lead to loss of focus and burnout.

Erika