[Theforum] Re: some thoughts

A. Erickson amanda at gawow.com
Mon Dec 3 15:48:11 CST 2001

> | > What's your suggestion? Are you wanting to exclude people
> you don't
> | > trust just because one of them might edit code in an article and
> | > force us to restore it from the archive?
> |
> | Ack! Hating the whole trust issue. Did I mention that?
> |
> | What about people who suck at editing? When can I kick them out?
>

> When you or others take over the role as "lead editors" for
> grammar, spelling, etc. issues.

Cool. I'm taking over. Rock, right?

> Until such a time.. it is unfair to criticize other people's
> contributions, even if those contributions are not as good as
> you would like.

Huh? Why can't I criticize?

> IOW, if there are problems... fix them .. but please don't
> complain about others trying to help to the best of their abilities.

If you're a good editor then you should be editing. If you're a bad
editor then you should not be editing. You should do something else.

> btw, no one should be kicked out .. unless they've done
> something maliciousl intentionally .. I don't consider not
> having a Masters' degree in English to be good justification.

You lost me. Having a Masters degree in English is a good start in my
opinion.

What I want to know is when can I kick someone out. Where is this
accountability in this system of letting everyone edit articles? I just
think it's a stupid idea.

Here's what I think is not stupid:
	Anyone can volunteer.
	There is a core group involved in editing articles.
	That core group has final say.
	The size of that core group can be variable.
	You can work your way into that group if you choose.
	There is a process for taking, reviewing and publishing
articles.

Sorry for being so blunt but I just want to know where the
accountability is in this system. Accountability is not just for us in
the "ivory tower" either, it's for the people who are working the site.
No one wants to be the one who fucks shit up. Let's make it easy for
them to succeed.

- amanda