[Theforum] referer of the day

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Fri Dec 7 16:19:00 CST 2001

> At 03:37 AM 12/8/2001, Luther, Ron typed these words:
> >I volunteer to check for steganographic references!!
> >(Oh sure ... you had to look it up, didn't you?)

heh, yeah, I looked it up (whooptie-fricken-do, mr big-words):

"Steganography is the art and science of hiding the
fact that communication is taking place. Steganographic
systems can hide messages inside of images
or other digital objects. To a casual observer inspecting
these images, the messages are invisible...

"The security of a classical steganographic system
relies on the secrecy of the encoding system. Once
the encoding system is known, the steganographic
system is defeated. A famous example of a classical
system is that of a Roman general who shaved the
head of a slave and tattooed a hidden message on it.
After the hair had grown back, the slave was sent to
deliver the message [3]. While such a system might
work once, the moment that it is known, it is simple
to shave the heads of all people passing by to check
for hidden messages...

"Other encoding systems might use the last word in
every sentence of a letter or the least significant bits
in an image...."

from "Detecting Steganographic Content on the Internet"
http://www.citi.umich.edu/techreports/reports/citi-tr-01-11.pdf

To quip something that was burned into me while working for Disney, "I
don't know, but I'll find out!"

dex