[Theforum] Appropriate? (fwd)

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Sun Dec 9 12:58:52 CST 2001

At 12:16 AM 12/10/2001, A. Erickson typed these words:
>I hate opening this box regarding commercial messages on evolt. Who
>next? I feel it is much more equitable to say 'no' to everyone.

The skeptic in me asks how this gentleman could possibly identify evolt
members (since the member list is not open). Is this simply a desperate
move in equally desperate times?

What if someone else hikes the price of their [xyz] software by 50%
tomorrow and then gives a 50% "evolt" discount?

I'm with Amanda on this one. We shouldn't set a precedent. If we allow this
today, we have to allow others later. I wouldn't people to leave thelist
because of marketing messages flooding the list.

So -1 to allowing it on thelist. I'm going to vote -1 for putting it on
w.e.o as well. After all, we unequivocally renounced commercial messages
for evolt.org, didn't we? It's one of the founding principles of the site,
IIRC.

However, a reasonable compromise would be to suggest to the gentleman that
he could put it into his email signature. If he then helps out someone on
thelist, people may see his offer. This is completely acceptable as long as
the sig isn't 10 lines long and in all caps :)

Madhu

Madhu Menon
madhu at members.evolt.org
Blog: http://madman.weblogs.com