[Theforum] Re: [thesite] +1/-1 Author Info Blocks

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 10 08:28:58 CST 2001

> From: ".jeff" <jeff at members.evolt.org>
[...]
> ah, but i *am* a user.  that's got to count for *something*.

nope, sorry, nuthin'...

[...]
> > however, a quick fix *is* to just change how you display
> > it now, since i know the custom vecrsion will take
> > longer to implement than that...
>
> i don't think that'd be a good idea.  ia guy might say that changing
> something as simple as the date format without any indication to the
> user(s) as to why it changed is bad.  it would be better to leave it
> as is (unless we get complaints every day from people about the date
> format) until such time as we can change it (which isn't really as far
> as it might seem).

i'd disagree (you're a jerk!  a complete knee-biter!) with that...

changing the date format is actually not something that i would
qualify as requiring user notification...  unless you can cite an
example why a user might get confused, i'm not seeing it...

do we need to explain going from this:
12/10/01

to this:
10 Dec 01

as for complaints, we have gotten comments... i've disliked the way
we display dates since day one, and i've said so, but a decision
was made and *i'm* not going to complain every day... who else
will take the time on the site?  it's the whole, "if the phone's not
ringing the clients are happy" logic...

> it's honestly as simple as adding a new table, adding another column
> to the users table, and then adjusting the user page to include a
> dropdown box with a bunch of possible date formats and adjusting the
> login to query that information out to be stored in session variables.

don't take this the wrong way, but what's faster?

- the short list of tasks you described above?
- changing the format in the template?

if i knew CF, i'd just write cut-n-paste code... but i'm coming from
the ASP side, where i see this as a two-second change...

and you said it's not far away that you'll be changing it... when?