[Theforum] Re: Sub-categories

Ben Dyer bendyer at swbell.net
Sun Dec 16 12:26:06 CST 2001

>  > From: "Elfur Logadottir" <elfur at elfur.is>
>>
>>  but the distinction between beginner and the rest is still valid, me
>>  thinks. so divide them in two: beginner / advanced. that way, us
>>  beginners can start with the correct ones :)
>
>not for me, it isn't... my experience has been that advanced articles
>aren't, and beginner articles are woefully lacking in explanation...
>
>IOW, the categorization constantly fails to help me in any way, so
>now i ignore it altogether...

I agree with Elfur that I think we should have some kind of
distinction, but I also agree with Adrian that, yeah, categorization
tends to suck when done improperly.

Let me just throw this out there (just woke up, so we'll see if it shows...)

What if everybody rated articles on a difficulty scale 1-5 and posted
that information like:

   "This article was given a difficulty rating of 2.8/5.0 (6 votes)"

and then maybe a link to see how many ratings for 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
(kinda like IMDb...no names).

So, what does this accomplish?  It gives us a difficulty rating based
on what the people have to say not necessarily what admin decides,
and aggregates a wide variety of opinions.

Now, obviously the down side is we already rate articles 1-5, so that
would/could be a problem.  The phrase "rating" for article would have
to be something else.  It would just add extra complexity if not done
correctly (and we'd have to determine what qualifies as "correctly").

Meh.  Just a thought.  Discuss. :)

--Ben

--
Site: http://www.thesfst.com/