[Theforum] Re: [*dmin] #evolt on IRC

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Fri Dec 21 18:00:51 CST 2001

see original thread here for context:
http://lists.evolt.org/adminarchive/Week-of-Mon-20011217/date.html

.jeff wrote:
>the channel has our name on it.  i don't think it's too much to ask that
>it properly represents us.

Personally, I don't think it's too much to ask to have a laid-back,
real-time place to chat that isn't hindered by doing every single thing
"properly" and without humor that *might* be misconstrued by someone.. to
have a place to chat with X-number of people in the room and not have it
logged and archived for everyone to see. And, you're damn right that's
because I have stuff to hide. I only feel comfertable talking about
certain things in my personal life with people like dan, michele, garrett,
etc., not with Joe Googleuser. That should be okay. I shoudn't have to
create a separate room with ICQ or something so that it isn't publically
archived.

The argument that it should be archived like everything else on evolt
doesn't make sense. That's why this thing came to be: it's a safe place to
discuss things with the x-number of people who are in the room. If it's
just like everything else on evolt, what's the point of having it?

I like the humor. I like the tight sense of community that makes it seem
safe to talk about certain things.

And I use it often. Most of you don't. Please don't mess up this thing
that I use.

Personally, i think it's very rare that conversations in that room are
anything but "so how's your day" kind of stuff. The harsh words that some
people seem to have popped in on are rare occurances... except for those
of you who show up in the room and start arguments. For you, they aren't
rare.

That's all I have to say.

Thanks,

--