[Theforum] important: treasurer duties (was: donations)

Marlene Bruce marlene at members.evolt.org
Sun Dec 23 21:36:56 CST 2001

Folks,

I just finished reading the "donations" thread (trying to get caught
up), and was emailing with Martin off-list about my treasurer duties.

To respond to Erika's points:

>  - we don't have a budget (that I know of)

You're right. We also haven't defined any goals or monetary needs for
equipment, services, producing items like t-shirts, or anything else.

>  - we're not 501c3  (are we?)

It looks like Elfur is checking out NFP in Iceland, correct? Can we
even become NFP if we don't have accounts set up and records
available for review?

>  - we don't follow our own bylaws

<!> This sounds like an issue for a different thread.

>  - do we even have a bank account?

Nope (see below). Before the $100 I just received from Dan (incl.
Hugh, John and Scott - thanks guys!), I have never received any money
for evolt (if you don't count the hotel in Austin, which was really
my money put out and reimbursed for).

**********

I have a few things I'd like run past you all:

1. Before week's end I will talk with Wells Fargo about opening a
business account for evolt.org. I'll find out what kind of minimums
we will need to keep for both a checking and savings account
(preferably fee-limited, we'll see). I'll determine how/if we can
have multiple signatories for a decentralized organization, so the
account isn't just under my name. I think we'd previously determined
that, aside from me, the following people would be listed on the
account:
* Marlene (Treasurer)
* Martin (President)
* Dan (Chairman)

and possibly:
* Rudy (Vice President)
* Elfur (Secretary)

I don't have my admin archives here to look this info up (I'm on the
East Coast at my mom's) and BTW, I never did receive the zipped files
of the old admin archives!

Who should be a signatory on the bank account?

2. I'll also go to the post office find out the fee to establish a
Post Office Box for evolt.org treasury-related issues and
transactions. That way people can snail-mail donations or whatever
(no mail bombs or anthrax, please).

3. Once the bank account is established, I would also like to create
an evolt.org PayPal account, which will point to the evolt.org bank
account for downloading and uploading money. What email address
should we use (maybe treasurer at evolt.org)? The email address should
come to me, but shouldn't use my name.

Should we also have a fax number?

4. I would like to establish the following rules for all future
evolt.org related money. Please read and comment:

4.a. ALL donations to evolt.org should go through the treasurer.
No one else should be collecting them. Anyone soliciting donations in
the future should be directing people to either the evolt.org PayPal
account (or Amazon or whatever account(s) we decide) for on-line
transactions, or the PO Box for checks. If we want to talk about
receiving credit card donations, that's another can of worms...

4.b. I must be alerted--immediately--to ALL purchases on behalf of evolt.org.
All purchases must be recorded. All receipts must be kept and mailed
or faxed to me (if I'm not making the purchase). Funds for purchases
should only come from the evolt.org bank account, unless someone is
purchasing the item and donating the item to evolt.org. See 4.c ...

4.c. Donations of non-monetary items to evolt.org should include a valuation.
In order for me to keep track of what we receive and what it's worth,
I need to know the value of any non-monetary items we receive.
Therefore if someone donates a piece of hardware or software
(whatever), we need to encourage them to tell us what they think it's
worth. This will become even more important if we obtain NFP status,
so people can write off their donations.

4.d. What else?
Additional suggestions and/or corrections are encouraged.

5. I need to compile a complete list of all of evolt.org's assets.
Dan, please help me with this. I know you run the servers and hold
the software licenses. I need a complete listing of all of hardware
and software evolt.org owns. If we are short licenses for anything,
tell me so we can prioritize them for purchase. [I think perhaps
Elfur, as secretary, should have a listing of all license numbers for
software as well.] If you have receipts for anything purchased, I
need a copy. I don't know if it's necessary to come up with "value"
figures for anything lacking receipts, but if I'm going to have to
put together a comprehensive list of evolt.org's assets, some
valuation of our holdings might also be necessary for becoming a
legal NFP. Dan, can you get back to me with this info in the next 30
days? If anyone else has input in this area, let me know.

6. We should make a list of things we need.
That way we can solicit and assign donations to specific causes.
Also, do we need to insure anything we own?

Thanks,
Marlene

P.S. I emailed the Webbys about changing the entry to "evolt.org" and
am awaiting a reply.