[Theforum] Re: voting

Brian King BKing at Impact-Technologies.com
Wed Jan 30 08:17:05 CST 2002

Whoa!  So I can vote as long as it conforms to someone's standards as to
whether it is a 'dickhead' vote or not and as long as I don't miss at least
three votes.  Is someone going to send out a set of limits on opinion
expression during the votes so the we all don't chance breaking the rules
here?  Sorry if that sounds like an aggressive answer, but I am worried that
the others, not only myself will look at rules like that as constituting an
exclusive club.  Is that the goal or is it to have an open forum?

I personally like Martin's thoughts on the quorum idea.  Setting a firm
voting period of 48 hrs on all votes may cause a decision to take a week or
better just to get settled, (if a follow-up or revote is needed).  I think
that creates an un-needed level of bureaucracy. Set the limit meeting quorum
or 48hrs. which ever turns out to be less.  IMHO

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: isaac
Subject: RE: [Theforum] Re: voting

Consider a concept of theforum members (interested in seeing what happens
here), and a subset of registered voting members (interested in what
happens, and wanting to vote to steer the community).

My original idea for all of this included just that. Admission to the ranks
of registered voting members was by a vote from existing members. I wouldn't
expect anyone to be voted down in this process -- I only suggest that it's
in place so we're not overrun by dickheads who join solely to vote that MEO
allows them to run all kinda warez crap.

I'm happy to try a "registered voting member" thing, but without the
admission check. We do have careful and responsible members. We're not /.,
with ranks of dickheads doing nothing but try to destroy threads with trolls
(well, not many of them), and offensive material, so it's a comparably minor
risk.

Could try a rough policy of "missing three votes with no reason results in
removal of voting rights", but I'm not sure that that is necessary. Instead
if we spot people ignoring polls, but being registered to vote, we can email
them privately to coax them into voicing their opinion (even by registering
an abstention from that particular vote).