[Theforum] Re: voting

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Wed Jan 30 14:53:56 CST 2002

>I just didn't want to see a situation evolve where there are knee
>jerk reactions like, 'that's a problem, let's make a new rule for
>people to follow to resolve it."
>Brian

Yeah.  I work at a university... and fortunately working for a dept
that understands the need to cut thru crap and get work done.  But
universities operate a lot this way also... actually, they add an
extra step: first they form a committee.

also I was a (yes, working) welfare mother for about 3 years.  So boy
oh boy do I know how the government avoids doing anything at all by
creating scads of rules and piles of paperwork and then still finding
a loophole, forcing you go thru appeals processes and more paperwork
and etc...

oops I'm getting carried away.
Thank god that part of my life is over.

Okay, here's the point.  Evolt is growing and without some
intelligent, simple structure threatens to collapse under its own
weight.  That's my opinion.

Evolt IMO is steered by a group of strong-minded, fiercely
independent people, many of whom freak out at the very thought of any
kind of rules or authority whatsoever...

Still, a lot of us realize we need *some* (more) structure in certain
areas.  And so we work cautiously in that direction.

We do have some extremely thoughtful, intelligent, IA oriented people
and I hope we'll take those educated opinions into strong
consideration as we continue to throw ideas at the wall to see what
sticks.

Love to you all,

Erika