[Theforum] Voting Specs Document?

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Wed Jan 30 15:34:53 CST 2002

[Theforum] Voting Specs Document?
A. Erickson theforum at lists.evolt.org
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:18:11 -0800

----

Could you explain the process for developing and implementing a spec
document as you see it. For the group as much as for me.

Thanks,
amanda
----

The process for developing and implementing a spec document ?  I'm not sure
there is one per se.

Martin, do you have that URL handy for the <tips>?  The documentation you
put together for that?

Plus there's this one that Simon created.
http://members.evolt.org/directory/docs/guide.html

Nice piece of work .. both of them.  In my opinion anyway.

So, for the voting application we need to nail down how the app should work,
how it would best serve our needs.

So, let's look at our needs (a few listed below, off the top of my head, not
at all meant to be set in stone nor complete):

(1)  An application to record votes anonymously for various purposes.
(2)  Ability to say who can vote on a certain question (whether that's by
priv level or being a part of a certain group, or whatever, isn't important
at this time).
(3)  Track the votes anonymously, prepare results summary.
(4)  One vote per person on each issue that person is allowed to vote.
(5)  Opening and closing vote dates.
(6)  Email individuals as well as the respective list(s) involved.
(7) Allow for people to belong to more than one voting group, i.e. BOD,
Admin, theforum, thesite, etc.

Like I said, just some rough ideas of what our needs might be.

Now, looking at how it should work, that's mostly covered off above in the
needs.  The spec document, in my opinion, doesn't need to go into the
technical details at this point.  But it should be comprehensive enough that
it can be given to thesite (example) to create the application that will
best meet our needs.  Getting some technical input and/or clarification in
the early stages can also be useful at this time, so that we (the group)
don't ask for something that's far too complicated and time-consuming to be
built.  IOW, what we need vs. what we want.

Anyway, not sure if I answered your question or not.

Michele