[Theforum] Changes to the VotingReqs document

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at COMPAQ.com
Mon Feb 4 17:09:20 CST 2002

Hi .jeff,

Ooops - sorry for the ambiguity, my bad.

I am in favor of the voting application.

I am against 'secret ballots'.

I am ambivalent about having the ability to change a vote once it is
cast.
[I was against it - but I'm not seeing much harm in allowing it until
the vote is "final" ... unless we start having db woes.]

RonL.
[However, the more I think about all of this the more I wonder about a
possible need for a more structured parliamentary procedure that
formally outlines (a) that everyone has the right to bring up an item to
be voted upon, (b) that explains how we 'end' the
"discussion/debate/bashing the idea around" phase {'Call for Question'
anyone?} //just trying to avoid the future "I wanted to vote on or have
my say about that - but <some reason> and I couldn't"//, (c) that covers
how we handle a 'motion' to 'amend' an item currently on the floor. That
kind of stuff.  I'm also starting to muse about the potential need for a
'chairperson'.]

{I've been a "chairperson" and a "parliamentarian" and a "rapporteur" in
some very formal parliamentary sessions. When it works well - it works
very very well.  When it doesn't -- well, then it's not a scene fit for
'family viewing'...}