[Theforum] Re: Changes to the VotingReqs document

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Tue Feb 5 22:27:59 CST 2002

At 04:14 AM 2/6/2002, Warden, Matt wrote:
> >Clustered index? Those physically rearrange the data, and you can only
> >have one per table. (Do they have that in Oracle?)
>
>indeces and tables are apples and oranges (respectively), my friend. in
>fact, one of the benefits of an index is that the SQL server may not have
>to look in the table at all (if your select list happens to be the
>field(s) indexed).

Setting a clustered index on a column (often the primary key) in a table in
SQL Server physically rearranges the order of the rows in the table. The
original comment was about whether data could be rearranged in a table
itself, to which I responded that a clustered index did this.

(and it's either "indices" or "indexes" :P )

Anyways, back to work...

Madhu