[Theforum] inventory

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Sun Feb 24 03:31:51 CST 2002

At 05:45 AM 2/22/2002, isaac wrote:
>How legal would it be to say "donations strongly encouraged; we cannot
>guarantee the provision of hosting to members who do not donate. i.e., we
>may run out of harddrive space, blah blah blah. priority given to
>contributing members, etc"?

And if we do that, then by corollary, we *have* to guarantee hosting and
support to people who *do* pay. How do we plan to do that with just one dude?

IMO, we need to sweeten the pot for people who pay. Give them something
extra for their money. Just a little bit more; not the world. It's a
psychological thing. People will feel more inclined to "donate" if they
think they're getting *something* out of it. It's like those TextAds on
MetaBurger, er, MetaFilter.

Madhu
PS: If I've been quiet over the last ten days, it's cause I've been
battling ISP problems as well as faulty
telephone lines. I hope I've seen the last of them. I had a few ideas that
I'll eventually get down to sending, barring further connectivity issues.

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant
e-mail: webguru at vsnl.net