[Theforum] Re: [offlist] flash accessibility/usability

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Thu Feb 28 14:28:02 CST 2002

On Thursday, February 28, 2002, at 04:52  pm, Daniel J. Cody wrote:

> here's a good example of confusion: i got an email from someone on
> thelist
> who thought it was unfair that martin contacted the person offlist as
> the
> 'moderator'. after all, in that case, how could martin be objective in
> dealing with the situation?
>
> as it turns out, they'd at some point in their
> time on thelist gotten an email from martin asking them to trim or
> something similar, signed with an 'on behalf of evolt.org', and thought
> that he was the person in charge of thelist.

It's a confusion of language - between administration and
moderation. They're two separate roles, even if they can both
be taken on by a single individual (such as you).

In terms of moderation, there's no difference between you,
me and Adrian. Same goes for this list which Adrian administers
and thechat which I administer.

> thats just an example from
> today that i happened to find out about. i'm sure there are other people
> who may be equally confused.

...which is one reason why I responded to the poster as one
taking part in the discussion, rather than as a moderator "on
behalf of evolt.org"

> *so* to get to my original prob, which i think is being takn out of
> proportion(i'm cranky this early), there are lots of new people on
> thelist
> lately, and if they see this as a place where (more or less) anyone can
> moderate, there's no respect for the rules. so, when i send out an email
> to everyone basically saying, "Hey calm down, trim your posts, read the
> archives" as i've done in the past when thelist gets noisy, people look
> at
> me and say, "wtf is this guy, and why should i listen?"

"on behalf of evolt.org" works...

But this *does* link into self-moderation - if those who are making
moderating requests are seen as being reasonable by the
community at large, then those suggestions will be accepted
and adopted by the community (if not the person creating
problems).

Now if it's escalated into taking *action* (as was suggested
today), that's of course a bit different.

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,