[Theforum] list slaps

mccreath mccreath at ak.net
Fri Mar 1 01:26:10 CST 2002

[ dammit, I seem to have caught the rudies ... my mail is randomly just not
going through ... sorry if you see this twice ]

> From: aardvark
>
> > From: Erika Meyer <emeyer at lclark.edu>
> >
> > 1. http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20010604/034132.html
> >
> > 2. http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20020225/104971.html
> >
> > I do think these are too harshly worded.
>
> i only think today's was...
>
> why?
>
> dan was clearly peeved, and that came through...
>
> why else?
>
> everyone in that thread is on the defensive and surly...

+1

It was a context issue, more than anything else.

On the other hand, there were people on that flash/nielsen thread that were
starting to get *way* out of bounds, and I think it's good that people
understand that there are folks who care passionately about onlist behavior,
and that there are bootable offenses at evolt.

We've got an *extremely* tolerant approach to both topic matter and
language. I think drawing a clear line is a good thing.

> does it matter?
>
> yes, but only to those who were in the thread...

I'm not entirely convinced of that, but it's kinda moot. I think letting the
whole thing fizzle itself down on the list is entirley appropriate. Yeah,
there was an evolt flare-up in Feb 2002, but nobody got booted and then it
died down.

The only thing that I would add is that speaking strictly personally, I
prefer not to see people named in general "be vigilant, be pure, behave"
posts. I appreciate Dan taking the time to address my specific concern about
the religion troll, and Dan, please don't read this as a shot at you, cuz
it's not, okay? It's really just a personal preference thing that happened
to come up in that particular post. (This personal preference is from a
personal experience on another list that shall remain nameless but which a
listmom who is iron-fisted and none too shy about it.)

> why am i bothering to reply to this?
>
> just so there's a record and because it came up...

ditto

> can someone tell me the way to san jose?

Hang a left at Cucamonga. But watch that first step. It's a lulu!

> didn't think so...

O, ye of little faith.

At any rate. I'm done with it unless somebody needs me to clear up something
in this particular post.

In the meantime, I would send you all to this post for a refreshing breath
of fresh air and a reminder why we do what we do. And let's try to remember
it when things get tense, okay?

http://lists.evolt.org/theforumarchive/Week-of-Mon-20020225/003347.html

love and peace,
David

PS- I'm going to see Chuck D speak tonight!