[Theforum] list slaps

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 1 15:36:33 CST 2002

If you'll forgive me for adding a note though I'm a Forum newbie and I only
read very end of the thread that spawned this.

>>"..this is the very reason that I often refrain from asking some questions
>>and why I may not answer some questions.  Even if I have an answer for
>>someone, the next post may just rip my solution to shreads.
>
>thelist *is* for discussion, right? If I see someone saying something
>obviously wrong, I'll point it out. Or am I supposed to keep quiet?
>
>There's nothing wrong with debate and disagreement. It's only the manner in
>which I disagree that makes a difference.
>
>>Why is this girl so afraid that someone will "rip [her] solution to
>>shreads (sic)"?

Sometimes some people will attack not your problem or your solution or you
personally, but the tiny bit of solution that you've already found.

For instance, someone asks a technical frame question and someone answers
that you shouldn't use frames at all (no personal attacks and backed by
arguments).

Is this Good or Bad? I usually dislike a "Thou Shalt Not" answer because
some people can be so bloody righteous about whatever the subject may be. On
the other hand a newbie who never thought of fundamental frame questions
will benefit from the post.

But I think this is what Daniel's offlist poster may have meant. Some
subjects are just difficult to discuss because of strong opinions. It could
scare intermediate posters who know just enough to understand and wonder
about the issues, but aren't yet sure enough of themselves to withstand
heavy enemy cross-fire.

I think this might be a problem for some list members, though I have no idea
what to do about it. I immediately delete unread any thread that smacks of
"Thou Shalt Not" answers, so I don't know how widespread this behaviour is
on thelist.

But it might be a point for the list admins to keep in mind.

ppk