[Theforum] Redesign

Lachlan Cannon luminosity at members.evolt.org
Fri Apr 5 21:50:42 CST 2002

isaac said:

>> Isaac, I reckon this or something similar should be used for the site
>> header. Also I had some thoughts about the ordering of things. What do
>
> Did you have any thoughts (I can't remember) on my redesign concept?
>
> http://members.evolt.org/isaac/evolt/redesign3.gif

Yeah, I liked that redesign, however I think the header on the mousepad page
is .. I dunno, stronger? Apart from that, it looks pretty good.

> Also, highlighting recent additions to DEO would be great. As long as
> we can best accommodate the masses of content (jobs/news/deo stuff,
> etc). It might be that user-preferences enable a customisable frontdoor
> (i.e., I'm not looking for a job, so I'd hide those, etc). But still,
> we do need a default frontdoor which should be targeted foremost at new
> or infrequent visitors of the site.

User preferences for the sidebar is a great idea, IMO. Probably better on
the default one for unregistered people to not overwhelm them - maybe
present them with options for articles mainly, and none of the other stuff.
I think when people register they should be taken to a page to customise the
appearance of the sidebar for them, or at least be given a link to a
customising page - maybe when the redesign is done send a mail to all
current members inviting them to change their viewing preferences?

Lach