[Theforum] Re: questions?

John Handelaar genghis at members.evolt.org
Tue Apr 23 08:00:27 CDT 2002

Heh.  'Official' is putting it a bit strongly.  For example,
an age ago I was vice-chair of an organisation here called
the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament.

[OT:  You know that thing US-ians call a 'peace sign'?  It was
designed by a CND member.]

CND had >70,000 paying members and a turnover of over £2m
in 1990.  It wasn't incorporated.  It doesn't really matter
here, although:

1)  It's wise to get your accounts audited annually

2)  You really don't want to go bust because there's no
    limitation of liability and whatever group is obviously
    in charge of decision-making is held liable (/me was
    of the opinion that this was a great way to force
    responsible behaviour on the CND Council).  Limited
    liability is strictly a company thing in the UK.

3)  We didn't charge sales tax, and therefore had to pay
    all our outgoing sales tax.

The bank accounts, if they were paying interest, did not
(according to the Inland Revenue) accrue that interest to
an individual, so were not subject to personal income tax
- although UK banks, unless you ask them not to,
automatically deduct taxes on interest as part of the
calculation of that interest.

</braindump>

John Handelaar

T +44 20 7209 4117       M +44 7930 681789
F +44 870 169 7657   E john at userfrenzy.com

[Okay -