[Theforum] root access

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 25 02:33:44 CDT 2002

>>>- There will always be certain positions which will have to go beyond
>>>any sort of term limit. I'm especially thinking of those who have root
>>>access.
>>

>>This is the central point. Whatever structure we can think up and
>>implement, anyone with root access can destroy it.
>>
>>It really doesn't make sense to discuss organization without giving the
>>organization (in this case: the steering committee) root access. If it
>>doesn't have root access, the system is flawed from the beginning and may
>>be removed without warning at any time.
>
>root access is not necessary for most tasks to be done.  We do need to
>define security/access schemes and get them implemented.

But it's not about tasks, it's about power. If someone else has the power to
turn you off you can't take any decisions you want. Compare it to a civilian
government that constantly has to look over its shoulder to see if the army
agrees with it, or face a coup.

In my opinion the Admins/Steering Committee/whoever's-on-top *must* have
root access (and maybe: must be the *only* body to have root access), even
if it doesn't need it for day-to-day work.

It must have the power to enforce its decisions. This will only rarely be
necessary, but giving rights without power ultimately doesn't work.

"Online power comes from the barrel of root access" (well, have to rephrase
that, but you see what I mean).
ppk