[Theforum] browser archive

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 30 22:31:49 CDT 2002

> From: "Michele Foster" <michele at wordpro.on.ca>
>
> <mini rant first>
> WTF?
> This message of yours is coming across extremely confrontational.
> Unnecessary. <mrf>

all my messages come across as confrontational...

it's a specialty of mine...

> Of course you are on thesite .. you're a major contributor on that
> list .. and you're the one responsible for the browser archive.  The
> discussion started on that list as someone volunteered to help
> maintain it and clean it up.  Which you freely admit you haven't had a
> lot of spare time to dedicate to this project.  So, IMHO, let someone
> else help out.

i've got no problem with anyone else helping out...

i would, however, like to take the opportunity to springboard from
there to wider-ranging discussions about other beo development, and
theforum is also a good place to do it...

the spare time i haven't had is in developing a categorization of the
browsers for the home page, and allowing people to sort...

browser maintenance is generally not a problem... part of the reason
the archive *looks* old is because many browsers are no longer
releasing new versions...

> Development specs .. which *should* be scoped out on thesite.
> Theforum list is VERY busy dealing with overall organization
> direction.  Let's not introduce development specs here too for
> something that already exists.  Get the ideas, etc. flushed out, then
> as a matter of course, present it theforum for an additional review.
> (Damn, I'm repeating what I wrote over in the other room not 1/2 hour
> ago.)

alright, i see that... i wanted others to weigh in, however,
especially since it popped up on the wiki... seemed like a good
opportunity to present it to the group, let them know it's there, and
amend if they want...

this thread won't get much traffic -- except as a springboard for
other discussions (like bandwidth usage, which is happening)...
*that* is relevent to theforum...

i don't want you to think i sent it over there for development specs,
i wanted to offer it up as a wiki page for farther ranging
discussions as well as raise it as another aspect we'll need to plan
for...

> What time did you leave to drive home?  I created the wiki page at
> 3:47 (EST) (posted to thesite time) so that William, You, Dan and
> anyone else that has ideas can add em there.  My hope is that you or
> William will decide who is maintaining that page and that you'll work
> together to make sure that everyone's ideas get added, and then
> proceed to the next step of debating individual ideas.

i got a new car, i took the scenic route... it's a nice car, too...
lots of pep and a sunroof... but a bird already crapped on the hood,
and it's only 24 hours old...

but yeah, i just forwarded that page to theforum, as i mention above,
and threw in a quick backgrounder for everyone not on thesite...

> William's showed the enthusiasm and he has some great ideas, so do you
> and Dan .. but we need to keep track of them *somewhere* so that we
> don't end up wondering what was discussed a month from now.  :)

agreed... you'll note that i have no problem with the wiki, but i
wanted to make sure that we didn't suddenly open up beo for directory
renaming in the time that i left work and got home...

my fear was that it was happening, and since i had nothing to say
otherwise, i wanted to quickly raise my concerns...

i may appear confrontational because i'm hammering out all these
posts, trying to eat, waiting for laundry, and hammering out some
designs in another window...

my replies are extremely curt right now... in fact, i think i have to
call it a night to get this other project wrapped up...
--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself