[Theforum] quick change

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Wed May 8 18:41:17 CDT 2002

Hugh,

They block me from using my own outgoing SMTP server and instead require me
to use theirs.  I thought it was just Bell, which is why I switched last
fall.  But, apparently my new provider has told me the same thing.  At the
moment I'm using a temporary account that allows me to use my own SMTP
server.  If/when I switch over to a real account on their system then I'm
guessing relaying through my own SMTP server won't work.  I did do a quick
test before I moved, and on the real system I couldn't send out with my own
address.

I'll admit to being rather ignorant about this tho.  Dan, Morb, Russ and
others tried to help me get around it the last time, but nothing would work.
The ISP's reasonings for it are two-fold (1) to stop someone from using
their relay servers to send out email mimicking like its coming from one of
their users and (2) cause they want me to host my domains on their service,
then they'll add an exception.

Mich