Prioritisation vote: [Theforum] Re: meo

Lachlan Cannon luminosity at members.evolt.org
Tue May 21 04:10:11 CDT 2002

\.jeff\ said:
> lachlan,
>
>><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
>> From: Lachlan Cannon
>>
>> > imo, meo is a bottomless pit. [...]
>>
>> And beo isn\'t?
>><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> the trick is to figure out what we can keep that offers the most back
> to existing community members and be a draw for other potential
> members.

How does beo encourage people to become members? It draws people to evolt,
sure, but for a specific reason and to a place which they're not that likely
to explore the rest of the site from...

> truth is, meo services 200+ members, but doesn\'t really offer anything
> to non-members, unless they join us.  the same isn\'t true of beo.  it
> helps everyone.

Exactly - beo helps everyone. No one needs to be a member for beo.
People who come to the site will see beo as something nice, but nothing
special. People who come to weo, or see something about meo mentioned are
more likely to join because of meo. People who do joi up are now members of
evolt. With the open structure evolt has, people feel more of a part of
evolt. Especially if evolt is providing something kickarse like meo. This is
much more likely to generate loyalty in people - making them more likely to
want to donate to keep it running. The difference between people who feel
they are getting a wonderful service, and people who think a place is good,
but nothing special, is that one generates loyalty, the other doesn't. All
our types of fundraising, I'm assuming, will be things that loyal members of
evolt will be a hell of a lot more likely to invest in than casual site
visitors. This means that meo is more likely to generate an ROI than beo is.
Don't get me wrong - I think beo is great. However, if it comes down to
services which can help support revenue for evolt to support itself I think
meo is far more important than beo, and as important as leo / weo (the
difference with these two being that they are ALSO able to draw new people
to evolt).

Also - someone who has an @members.evolt.org mail address, and test space
members.evolt.org/whatever is more likely to feel a part of evolt. They
aren't going to want to see that go away.

>><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
>> > why isn\'t deo higher on the list?  well, it\'s
>> > php/mysql which is a dime a dozen for hosting out
>> > there.  it should be a trivial task to find a cheap
>> > or free host for that.
>>
>> OTOH - doesn\'t deo already have all it needs in it\'s
>> present environment?  why not include it in the weo
>> area (which I\'m assuming includes feo as well. It\'s
>> not a huge bandwidth / hardware hog.
> deo isn\'t currently (that i\'m aware of) tied in to anything leo/weo
> related. so, hosting it somewhere else would be trivial.

fair enough.

Lach
http://members.evolt.org/luminosity/
MSN: luminosity @ members.evolt.org